[MPlayer-users] A plea for LFE-help

Jacob J ja.jo at telia.com
Fri Dec 12 13:47:10 CET 2003

On Friday, Dec 12, 2003, at 11:06 Europe/Stockholm, Luis.F.Correia
wrote:

> I just don't get it.
>
> On a 2.0 system all you can have is two channels, nothing more.

Of course. But let's agree about one thing - if I have a 5.1-track, it
will need to be downmixed to be played on my 2.0 system, right? I want
to be able to control how this downmix is being done, which channels
that should be used in the downmix. LFE is currently left out when I
play dvds.

> The LFE channel from a DVD sound track has extremely low-range
> frequencies,
> that if routed through normal speakers, can cause serious damage.

As I wrote in my post, both WinDVD and PowerDVD for windows has these
features and I have tried them with my loudspeakers. On 5.1 movies with
lots of bass information in the LFE-channel the difference in sound
experience was huge comparing with playback without LFE! My subwoofer
had no problems to deal with the low-range frequencis - but I guess
some systems would and that is why LFE is left out as an option in
other DVD-players.

> If you do have a 2.1 speaker set (two satelites and a Bass box), the
> case is the same, the amplifier on the Bass Box will route the
> high-range
> frequencies to the satelites and the low-range to the Bass box speaker.
> So I simply cannot understand all the fuss!

The problem is that the signal that comes out from my soundcard does
not contain all bass that is included in the movie soundtrack! On some
movies (tried with X-Men and Monsters Inc.) special effects like
explosions are only in the LFE which means that these effects sounds
very thin when I play movies in mplayer. If I do it in Windows with
PowerDVD and enable to include the LFE, the sound is just like I want
it - more like a real 5.1 system! However I will soon throw away my
PC/Windows so I would hope that some movie player for linux could do
the LFE trick.

Is my problem still unclear?

Kind regards,
Jacob

>> However, I am not able to get this working. The manual feels
>> insufficient on it's descriptions - or maybe my computer doesn't do
>> what it is supposed to do. Therefor I hope that maybe someone of you
>> out there knows how to master the pan- and channels audiofilter to
>> solve my problem. People tell me that WinDVD and PowerDVD in Windows
>> does the LFE-trick, but I would never use Windows, and I am convinced
>> that mplayer can do it!
>>
>> My hardware is a PowerBook G4 with Gentoo Linux and mplayer1.0-pre2.
>>
>> Thank you for your time and help!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jacob

Jacob Jovelou