[MPlayer-users] How to instruct mplayer to enable postprocessing with mpegpes? (NOVIRUS)

Fri Dec 12 13:01:44 CET 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>> In what way spp is better? As I see, it just smoothes video down to
DRFI>> hell, removing artifacts in process.
DRFI>
DRFI>It uses the exported quantizer table (if available), and only will
DRFI>"smooth video down to hell" if the table is unavailable, e.g. if
DRFI>you do something stupid like applying another filter (such as pp)
DRFI>first.

Of course I'm not doing that ;) Just something like -vf spp=3 or
-vf spp=3,hqdn3d,noise=10uah,eq2 - the filter chain I use with spp
instead of pp.

But results are blurred too much.

DRFI>> Sure, it may be useful if you have
DRFI>> extremely low-quality video, but  something like pp=fq:15/hb:64:20/vb/dr
DRFI>> with denoising afterwards will give similar results.
DRFI>
DRFI>The fq option should NEVER be used unless you have video from a
DRFI>strange source that can't export quantizer tables. It will severely

Well, what should I do if I'm not satisfied with the pp's level of
deblocking, and want to increase it? Strangely though, in windows
ffdshow's methods provide excellent deblocking quality, and in mplayer
it is impossible. And there are only three parameters to tune: vq, first
and second hb parameters. When increasing first hb parameter, it doesn't
give desired effect. When decreasing second, deblocking destroys edges
and smoothes out details. Forcing fq helps. Of course it works only well
if you know real vq and will just pass increased value to fq option,
otherwise it will destroy quality when original vq was low. Eh, I really
miss option like "fq:+4", i.e. increase level of postprocessing by
counting original vq + something.

DRFI>lower quality and increase blurring. The spp filter is much better,
DRFI>provided you set the parameter high enough (e.g. 6).

Well, what cpu do you need to use level 6? ;) Mine 2ghz athlon can't do
that for 320x240, and for dvd-sized video, evel lvl 2 is impossible.  In
the other hand, quality doesn't differ a lot between levels 2 and 4, and
results of level 4 and 6 look identical.

--

Vladimir