[MPlayer-users] [BUG] ogm-subtitle detection and numbering

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 10:08:49 CET 2003

Jochen Radmacher wrote:

> Hi, I have here an ogm-video file with consisting of  1 video,3 audio
> and 1 textstream:
<snip>
> The Problems are: 1) The subtitle text is not autodetected. I have to
> manually specify the subtitlestream with "-sid 4"

This is intentional; if you don't say you want subtitles, it's assumed
that you want none. It would be possible to make subtitles be on
automatically if present, defaulting to whichever stream is first in the
file, but then it would require a commandline option to turn them off
*and* still require a commandline option to select any other than the
default text stream.

I do think that the current setup is a little clunky, since you have to
play the file once with -v and skim through much irrelevant output in
order to get a listing of stream IDs, but if I had any better ideas I'd
have suggested them by now.

> 2) IMHO the first textstream should have the number 1 and not 4 since
>  you can't display the audiostreams as text.

I wasn't present at the time, but from conversations I gather that it
used to be done that way; the alteration is the result of a design
decision, and even as a fledgling programmer I can see reasons why it
might be better to give each stream a unique ID number.

--
       The Wanderer