[MPlayer-users] How to instruct mplayer to enable postprocessing with mpegpes? (NOVIRUS)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 11 20:44:18 CET 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:10:51PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>(or whatever postprocess you want to use). Keep in mind it will be
> DRFI>slow... BTW don't use both pp and spp; it will give bogus results. If
> DRFI>you want to use spp, forget about pp entirely because spp is much
> DRFI>better (but slower).
>
> In what way spp is better? As I see, it just smoothes video down to
> hell, removing artifacts in process.

It uses the exported quantizer table (if available), and only will
"smooth video down to hell" if the table is unavailable, e.g. if you
do something stupid like applying another filter (such as pp) first.

> Sure, it may be useful if you have
> extremely low-quality video, but  something like pp=fq:15/hb:64:20/vb/dr
> with denoising afterwards will give similar results.

The fq option should NEVER be used unless you have video from a
strange source that can't export quantizer tables. It will severely
lower quality and increase blurring. The spp filter is much better,
provided you set the parameter high enough (e.g. 6).

Rich