[MPlayer-users] ac3 for mplex

HR haavroed at online.no
Thu Dec 11 20:00:41 CET 2003

The short version:

How do I best extract an ac3 audio stream from a VOB suitable for
mplex'ing?

The long version:

I've checked the archives, and have found a dev discussion about adding
ac3 (-of) output support in mencoder, but since the discussion is
currently active, I assume the status is it's not supported.

One method I've found so far is tcextract from the transcode package.

Ofcourse, I'd prefer using mplayer/mencoder and mjpegtools+dvdauthor.
Since the below works beautifully for video dump for mplex'ing;

mencoder test.vob -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=132:vbitrate=9800:autoaspect:mbd=2:precmp=2:cmp
=2:subcmp=2:trell:cbp:tcplx_mask=0.1:scplx_mask=0.1:vpass=1 -sws 2 -vf
crop=702:572:10:4,scale=720:576 -of mpeg -o /dev/null
mplayer test.mpg -dumpvideo -dumpfile test.m2v
(BTW; why does the manpage say that this step is not useful? How else
can I dump video for mplex'ing? Since mplex doesn't take the mpeg
produced directly from mencoder, I mean...)

then I was (naively) hoping that this could work equally beautiful

mplayer test.vob -dumpaudio -dumpfile test.ac3 -vo null

such that I could simply

mplex -f 8 -V -b 230 -M -o outfile.mpg test.m2v test.ac3

and continue dvdauthor'ing. This didn't work... how do I convert this
test.ac3 to an AC3 stream that mplex understands?

HR