[MPlayer-users] How to instruct mplayer to enable postprocessing with mpegpes? (NOVIRUS)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 11 17:31:11 CET 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:49:17AM +0200, Ari Huttunen wrote:
> I'm looking at some self-encoded AVI files on my DVB card, and
> it works sort of. The problem is that I have visible macroblocks
> on some scenes, and I would like to enable sufficient postprocessing,
> so they would be removed.
>
> Those blocks are visible in areas of similar color when there is
> considerable action elsewhere on the frame. I encoded my test with
> mencoder (1.0pre3) with LAVC, mpeg4 and 1800kbit/s or 2500kbit/s,
> but couldn't get rid of those macroblocks. (Yes, it's better than
> 1.0pre2, thanks.)
>
> The command line used to play the AVIs is like the following:
>
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -afm 9 -vop
> lavc=5000:25.000,(*),expand=720:576:-1:-1:1,scale=720:576 -cache 4096 -slave
> -nolirc -subpos 80 -sub-bg-color 0 -sub-bg-alpha 0 -quiet
> /data/avi/hercule.avi

Of course you can't postprocess with _passthrough_ video!

If you want postprocessing, you'll have to decode and reencode. Try:

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -vc mpeg12 -vf spp=6

(or whatever postprocess you want to use). Keep in mind it will be
slow... BTW don't use both pp and spp; it will give bogus results. If
you want to use spp, forget about pp entirely because spp is much
better (but slower).

Rich