[MPlayer-users] digital audio out when watching TV

Stephen D. Leedle LeedleSt at gmx.de
Thu Dec 11 07:57:44 CET 2003

Hello!

On Thursday 11 December 2003 02:10, MIchael Spiceland wrote:
> watching TV with mplayer?  When I play movies it works just fine
> because the audio is being output to the sound driver by mplayer.  When
> I watch TV, it just turns on the TV card which is looped into the Audio
> IN which is why I can hear it on my computer.
>
> I want to use the digital out because that goes out to my main TV in
> the TV room.

I am not sure whether I understand Your subject, but this could solve the
problem:
There is a driver module called "btaudio" by Gerd Knorr (who wrote the
bttv driver, too). This module works miracles... (not on my machine ;-(

(This needs a Brooktree/Conexant BT878 compatible tv card, and a
MSP34xx/3400 or similar decoder chip for audio, which seems NOT to be on
every Hauppauge tv card.)

The idea is to grab the audio signal NOT by line out/cable/line in/sound
processor, but to directly access a /dev/dsp[n] device :-) which btaudio
registers. This device will function as a OSS DSP which can be accessed
by sox and by mplayer/mencoder (ask for proper options, if You can't find
them, I could have a look, but I haven't got them by heart.)

Since this data is NOT processed by the analog out of the TV card You
should have the honour to enjoy Your digital out of Your sound card.

Sorry, if I misunderstood Your subject, or if I explained bad, let me
know, ok? :)

Good luck, Stephen D. Leedle