[MPlayer-users] bad sound with mp3lib MPlayer 1.0pre3 bitrates !=128k

Mario anime at fh-furtwangen.de
Wed Dec 10 16:09:20 CET 2003

Hi list,

since about Mlayer 0.92 up to the current release 1.0pre3 I encounter
bad sound with mp3lib, in most bitrates not equal to 128kbit (especially
in .mpg movies, which is mpeg1 layer 2 sound, but also with layer 3).

The high frequencies are badly distorted. You can hear that, if you force
"-ac mad" for comparison. I don't know which library is used in Kaffeine
but the sound there is okay (as it is when I use "mad").

Compilation went smooth, no error messages.
gcc 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)

Configured without gui: ./configure

Has anyone noticed the same problem?
Is it possible to force "-ac mad" for mpeg audio, without
interfering with other audio codecs?
If that problem was posted elsewhere, please inform me.

Thanx for answers,
Mario