[MPlayer-users] Re: Mandrake 9.2 contrast problem

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Dec 10 03:11:36 CET 2003

Goetz Waschk writes:
 :: Am Mo 08 Dez 2003 12:18:08 GMT schrieb Dean S. Messing:
 :: > Couple of days ago I downloaded
 :: > mplayer-1.0-0.pre2.4plf
 :: > and tested against LOTR again.
 ::
 :: > Now the contrast/brightness problem seems to be gone.
 :: > Not sure if they patched a config file to fix
 :: > the problem, or what.  But LOTR (and I assume
 :: > everything else) looks good.  Again the
 :: > xv driver is being used (by dafault).
 ::
 :: No, I haven't changed anything related to that in the package (it's my
 :: mplayer package for Mandrake), so maybe something else has changed on
 :: your system.

You are right, of course.  When I wrote my message, I wrote in
ignorance of a little fact I discovered just this afternoon.

The xv driver (for NVidia|GeForce4 Ti 4800 binary driver under Mdk
9.2) apparently has the ability to remember contrast/brightness
settings across invocations of Mplayer.  I was goofing with these
setting the other day.  Then day before yesterday I downloaded pre2.4
and tried it out.  Lo-and-bold, the contrast looked great.

Today I re-booted X and the settings were gone.

So I was fooled by the fact that xv remembers the settings.

                        Dean S. Messing
                        Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
                        Information Systems Technologies Dept.
                        Sharp Laboratories of America

P.S. Completely off-topic side question I've
     been meaning to ask:

     I have been away from the mplayer list
     for a few months but am beginning to use
     mplayer heavily again for my research.
     Since beginning to read this list I have
     noticed the absence of any messages from
     indomitable A'rpi.  Where is he?