[MPlayer-users] av sync problems dvd->divx w/lavc and 3 pass

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Tue Dec 9 21:40:30 CET 2003

For whatever reason I can't seem to consistently get the a/v sync right
when going from a dvd source to .avi with mencoder.  The audio is almost
always between 200-400 msec off the video, and any given file is off when
played by mplayer and windows media player.  I can adjust mplayer to sync
manually while playing the .avi, but would rather it be right in the file
for obvious reasons.  I really don't know what I might be missing.

looks like i'm using mplayer 0.92 built from ports on FreeBSD 4.9, and
following are the commands I used for 3 pass encoding:

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts
preset=standard

rm divx2pass.log && mencoder -dvd 1 -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=150:vbitrate=870:vpass=1 -vop
crop=640:268:0:44,scale -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy

mencoder -dvd 1 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=150:vbitrate=870:vpass=2 -vop
crop=640:268:0:44,scale -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy

Any suggestions about any of this are welcome, since I really don't know
what I'm doing at all :)

Aaron