[MPlayer-users] mencoder: remove logo

Helge Preuss preuss at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Tue Dec 9 14:21:56 CET 2003

>Sorry, got a knot in my brain, can't write English at the moment.
>This solution would be offtopic anyway. Sorry again.

Luckily, I am german myself, and at least the language section of my
brain is quite functional right now :-). So I'll try to outline your
solution in English, throwing my own comments in, marked in [ ].

>--- 1 ---
>Also, mit MPlayer würde ich da nichts hinkriegen. Vielleicht mit einem
>externen Programm, welches zum stapelweisen Bearbeiten von Bildern
>verwendet werden kann. So z.B. nconvert aus dem XNView-Paket. Oder jenes
>"Image Magick", welches mir nur namentlich bekannt ist.
>
>Ich würde das Video als Bildfolge speichern. Man nehme MPlayer mit
>"-vo jpeg" oder ähnliches. Selbiges macht man mit dem Video ohne Logo. Am
>Besten mit der Crop-Option (siehe man-Seiten), mittels der man gleich auf
>die richtige Größe beschneidet.

Convert the movies to image sequences, using the -vo jpeg option [ I
personally prefer the png format, because I'm going to process the
images further, and disk space is not a problem for me].
You might want to crop the output to the logo area with -vf crop [ I
won't do this yet, because I want to rescale the movie first, and I'm
not so sure how crop and scale interact, so I'll stay on the safe side].

>Mittels eines Skriptes fügt man dann den Ausschnitt, leicht vergrößert
>(oder wie auch immer das unsaubere Video da reinpasst), mittels z.B.
>nconvert ein. (Hier gibt es keine man-Seite, es muss die Liesmich.txt
>herhalten.) NConvert besitzt Filter (viele Filter :-), die diese Aufgabe
>erledigen. Nachdem man dies auf alle Bilder angewandt hat...

Use a script to insert the cropped section into the high res video,
after you rescaled it, in every frame. [I'm actually going to use
convert from the ImageMagick package. Never heard of XNView.]

>...liest man die Bildersequenz mittels MEncoder wieder ein. Da gibt es am
>Ende der man-Seiten zum MPlayer/MEncoder in den Beispielen den Befehl zum
>Einlesen der Sequenz. Sonst ist er undokumentiert... AFAIK.

Finally use mencoder to make a movie from the multiple images. [There is
another explanation how to do this in the user documentation,
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html ]

>[...]
I don't comment on the Windows solution, as this is no option for me anyway.

Thanks, I'm going to try this at once. It's going to take some time
though, as the decoding process I just started much way slower than real
time :-( .
One (maybe stupid) more question though: how do I save the audio track
and restore it when encoding the movie from multiple files?