[MPlayer-users] mencoder: remove logo

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Dec 9 13:25:18 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:19:08AM +0100, Helge Preuss wrote:
> I have two versions of a movie:
> One high-quality, high-resolution with an ugly logo superimposed.
> One low-res without the logo.
> Can I use mencoder to combine these two, replacing the logo in the
> hi-res version with data from the low-res version? How?
> I found the -vf bmovl option, which "reads bitmaps from a FIFO and
> display them in a window". I do not quite understand how it is supposed
> to work, and I do not know how to tell mplayer to write bitmaps to a
> fifo. Apart from that, it seems to be the way to go.
> Comments?

bmovl will not help you, since there's no way to synchronize it right.
I really don't think there's any way mplayer (g1) will be able to help
you at all. Maybe with g2, but what you're describing is very
difficult, especially if one of the files skips or duplicates some
frames that the other doesn't. You'd probably be better off just
finding a good copy without the logo. Or, if the logo is translucent,
it might be possible to invert the blend operation to remove the logo
without needing a clean source, but you'd need to write a new filter
for that.

Rich