[MPlayer-users] giving it the chop

anton anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Tue Dec 9 10:40:11 CET 2003

hi all,
(hope I haven't offended anyone..., comes with being an ass...)
I have a perfectly sync'ed 1.4 gig avi that I want to split down the
middle (LOTR-2 towers ext, dvd2). I encoded the first dvd in exactly the
same manner, and was able to split it into two 700s no problems. They
were both done with VBR lame using normal 3-pass. The second 1.4 gig is
resisting the chop... it seems to want to only encode the first portion
of sound, ie I start with:
mencoder  -ss 0:55:20 -oac copy -ovc copy -o cut2c.avi tower2.avi
and the audio I get on the resulting avi is the audio from the
beginning, not starting at 55:20. This worked perfectly for dvd1. I am
lost. I tried putting the -ss ... everywhere. No avail. I even tried
using virtual dub but that just made a mess of it. I would really like
to understand what is going on... I don't want to have to go back to
CBR, as I have been informed that this "doesnt' happen" !!!!
Any ideas heartfully received.
Cheers
Anton