[MPlayer-users] Rescuing a scratched DVD

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Tue Dec 9 04:34:31 CET 2003

> It is not illegal, nor have they "made it illegal". In fact, copying a
> DVD does not require nor benefit from DeCSS. Only playing it does.

So why all the controversy with DVD copying if it's all legal?  Maybe it's not
technically illegal, but I'm sure whoever released the DVD would be pretty
keen to publicly sue you should you attempt it (even if it's only a stunt to
scare off others.)  I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it now,
but I did notice they are starting to put warnings on like 'Unauthorised
broadcasting, copying and "backups" are prohibited."  I was quite surprised
when I saw it, but they *really* don't want you to have more than the copy
you bought.

> Backing up a DVD you already have is perfectly legal, and since there
> is no way, after the fact, to determine whether your backup was made
> from your original before it was damaged, or from a rental copy after
> your original was damaged, it follows that making the backup from the
> rental copy is just as legal.

True, but if being in possession of the copy is the illegal bit, then it
doesn't really matter where it came from.

> (If cursing is illegal and you say a curse word in a forest and no one
> hears, are you guilty? No. Same deal here.)

So if you break into someone's house and no one is around to see you, that
makes it legal does it?

Cheers,
Adam.