[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 8 21:02:28 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:42:44PM -0500, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > My point is that you should not be paying a premium for a DVD over
> > what the media costs.
>
> How about what the production of the film costs?  Are you suggesting
> that film producers should 1) operate at a loss, and 2) continue to
> produce films?

That's their choice. I don't care whether they do or not. I do care if
they litigate against people for exercising basic personal liberty.

> > Copyright monopoly is not any more legitimate than other
> > government-granted monopolies as a way to make money. If you can't
> > make a profit without enforcing it against individuals, you should
> > find another business model.
>
> You can be sure that without patents and copyrights, there would be
> far less innovation generally,

This is blatently false. In fact the opposite is true.

> and specifically almost no video or
> audio works.

There would probably be less, and that's a good thing. Get rid of the
crap that's just made to make a profit and what remains is the real
art.

> It is reasonable to argue that the time limits on copyrights and
> patents be reduced, but abolishing copyrights and patents in entirety
> would help no one.

Also blatently false. Go back to slashdot or whatever dungeon you come
from.

Rich