[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

HR haavroed at online.no
Mon Dec 8 12:16:58 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Adam Nielsen
[...]
> that was my point originally too - if you were allowed to copy it for
> personal use, then there'd be no problem.  But since the
> recording industry
> has made it illegal, they'll have to take over and provide
> legitimate backups
> for people who don't want to break the law by making their own.
It's a widely acknowledged fact (at least among intellectuals in my
country) that extensive micromanagement of the population by laws and
criminalizing the common man by passing laws that most people do not
agree upon or understand.

That unfortunately doesn't mean the legislators have the same opinion,
but it's a goal to strive for. Unfortunately, in many parts of the
world, money talks louder than common sense, thus we get silly laws that
for example makes it illegal to make a backup of your own CD/DVD.
However, in my country, this is ***legal***.

HR