[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard jbms at attbi.com
Mon Dec 8 05:37:21 CET 2003

Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at optushome.com.au> writes:

>> How about what the production of the film costs?  Are you suggesting
>> that film producers should 1) operate at a loss, and 2) continue to
>> produce films?

> Certainly not - but when you hear that a film has produced a profit of
> hundreds of millions of dollars at the cinema, why is the DVD release so
> expensive?  They've recouped their costs and made a *huge* profit, but
> they're still making an enormous profit on the DVD too.  Personally I think
> they should rely on the cinema to make their profits, then release the film
> essentially "for free", with no copy restrictions and the option to get a
> copy on DVD for the few dollars it costs them to manufacture it.

If the cost to buy or rent a DVD were reduced, fewer people would go to
the cinema.  (Perhaps not very many though.)  The best way to reduce
the cost both at the cinema and for buying or renting a DVD would be to
encourage competition in the film production industry.  In any case, it
is not clear how this relates to abolishing copyrights and patents.

> It would stop piracy instantly - you can't pirate something when
> you're *allowed* to copy it...just look at Linux ;-)

Ignoring the other points, this is analogous to saying that we should
eliminate crime by eliminating criminal laws.  (But this comical remark
does not really relate to anything else mentioned.) ;)

>> You can be sure that without patents and copyrights, there would be
>> far less innovation generally, and specifically almost no video or
>> audio works.

> You obviously have never seen "open source" music.  People have been composing
> songs on computers for decades and releasing them for free, in their original
> "source" form allowing you to play the song, edit it, and pull it apart
> enough to see individual instruments and notes.

Because audio production has relatively low cost, it is feasible for
hobbyists to produce free music.  This is not the case for films.

> Try visiting www.modarchive.com sometime ;-) I wouldn't say the free
> music there has been stifled by lack of copyright...  Sure, if you got
> rid of patents and copyrights a lot of people would stop producing
> work, but you can be sure there'd be even more people only too willing
> to take their place.

Perhaps there would be some increase in the production of free music by
hobbyist, because some current professionals would continue to produce
music as hobbyists, but it seems pretty clear there would be an overall
decrease in the production of music.

>> It is reasonable to argue that the time limits on copyrights and
>> patents be reduced, but abolishing copyrights and patents in entirety
>> would help no one.

> The only people it wouldn't help are those making huge profits on their
> copyrights (i.e. movie studios.)  Everyone else would have a huge
> benefit.

I happen to like watching professionally made films, and using certain
professionally made software (such as games).  The only way that
someone or a corporation can afford to spend the $50 million to produce
the film, or some other large amount to produce the game is to be
compensated.  By abolishing copyrights and patents, these
professionally made films and software will not be available, and thus
I am harmed.  It may be the case that actors are earning economic rent,
and copyrights and patents are valid for too long a period, but
abolishing copyrights and patents completely is not the solution.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard