[MPlayer-users] Creating DIVX for Xoro HSD 400 with mencoder.

HR haavroed at online.no
Mon Dec 8 01:11:02 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Carsten Koch
[...]
> I have been trying to create a DIVX CD with mencoder for my
> DIVX-capable DVD player (Xoro HSD 400).
>
> The DIVX file created can be played fine with mplayer, but
> the DVD player does not recognize it.
> All it does is show me a playing time of 0:00:00 and a
> black picture with no sound.
Some things are not supported by such players. I can only give you a few
examples, as I have no idea what restrictions may apply for your player.

* B-frames are not supported (I think this must be turned on, which you
did not, so you should be ok)
* keyint interval might/probably have to be lower than mplayer default
(<=132, try keyint=125)
* qpel is not supported
* generally, no "advanced" mpeg4 features are supported

However, you can turn on any options that only "smartens" up the use of
the bits, such as trell and other algo settings.

> My questions are:
>
> *  What is the difference between
> 	VIDEO:  [DIV3]
>     (which works on the DVD player)
>     and
> 	VIDEO:  [div3]
>     (which does not work on the DVD player)
>     In other words: What difference does mplayer indicate
> with the upper case
>     versus lower case div3?
Nothing. fourcc div3 and DIV3 are the same. Someone correct me if I'm
wrong...

> *  Could the  44100 Hz vs. 48000 Hz be the reason for the problem?
>     If yes, what are the best mencoder parameters for audio
> resampling to 48kHz?
Yes, in general (always?), DVD audio should be 48kHz and (S)VCD audio
should be 44.1kHz.

AFAICT from docs and source, mencoder does not support resampling.
Resample with lame and '--resample 48000'.

> *  Any other suggestions what I could try?
To summarize; try keyint=125 and resample the audio. If you still have
problems, lower the keyint to an insanely low value just to see if
that's the problem. 25 for example. Next, try making samples with just
the audio and then just the video to find out which doesn't work.

HR