[MPlayer-users] Rescuing a scratched DVD

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sun Dec 7 11:52:30 CET 2003

> I disagree totally. What you _do_ (under the law) and _should_ pay for
> is a copy, not some sort of bullshit "license" to be able to watch the
> movie, which you do not need (or want).

So in that case, why do DVDs cost $$$ when the materials to manufacture them
cost much less and the movie has already made a profit at the cinema?  I
agree with you completely, but as usual the most ideal way of doing something
is never how it works in the real world.  There's a *huge* markup tacked onto
the DVD (which is their 'price' of acquiring a legal copy of the movie) and
my argument was that once you've paid that premium to own a legal copy you
shouldn't have to pay it again.  Fair enough if you want two legal copies,
but since one copy broke you'll only end up with one working copy in the
end - so you shouldn't have to pay the premium for two.

> If you buy something and then break it, the manufacturer doesn't have an
> obligation to cover for your mistake. That just encourages people to be
> wasteful and destructive.

That wasn't the argument - if you break something you should pay for the
replacement, but that replacement (in the case of a CD/DVD) will be
considerably cheaper than the original - you should pay for materials and
administration costs only.

Cheers,
Adam.