[MPlayer-users] Rescuing a scratched DVD

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Dec 6 22:32:26 CET 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:51:44PM +0100, HR wrote:

> I'm examining various ways of recovering as much as possible from a
> scratched DVD (my kid stomped on it and used it to wipe the floor...).
> Currently I do

I think you'd be better off buying a new copy of the DVD or trying to
physically repair the surface to remove scratches. In any case,
mplayer can't do anything to help without reencoding. -dumpstream
works at the stream level, so even if it ignored errors, it wouldn't
throw away bad mpeg frames. If you're going to copy with dd, you also
need the "sync" option, or unreadable parts will get skipped rather
than being filled with zeros (misaligning the file). You could try
reencoding with ffmpeg/mencoder, but I expect the movie is so damaged
it won't be worthwhile.

Rich