[MPlayer-users] Rescuing a scratched DVD

HR haavroed at online.no
Sat Dec 6 20:51:44 CET 2003

I'm examining various ways of recovering as much as possible from a
scratched DVD (my kid stomped on it and used it to wipe the floor...).
Currently I do

dd if=/dev/dvd of=movie.iso conv=noerror

which takes a looong time now that it has hit one of the really bad
parts.

I expect many of the frames in the ruined areas to be damaged, most
probably beyond what can be read my most (all?) players. The question
is, how do I best "repair" the vob's on the iso such that they can be
played? Ofcourse, the frames will look really bad, with blocks,
artifacts and much worse, but it'll still be playable... I really want
the DVD menus/structur, so some kind of vob-fixer would be good. Can
mplayer do any of the sort? If I have to sacrifice the structure, so be
it. Would a -dumpstram stop once it hits errors, or can I force it to
continue like with 'dd'? And if so, will mplayer write "readable" frames
(garbaged, yes, but readable)?

I did a test on the vob in the unfinished iso with a player in win*2000,
and got a player-crash followed by a win* blue screen when it got into a
bad part... nice. I'm expecting the standalone DVD-player to choke on it
as well, unless I manage to repair the vob's somehow.

HR