[MPlayer-users] Re: Digital camcoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 4 17:41:35 CET 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:38:33PM +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > > I would suspect panning/motion looks more choppy on NTSC, but
> > > interlacing artefacts (jagged look) are more visible on PAL. However
> > > I've never seen a PAL tv so I'm just guessing.
>
> > But interlaced content is different, it's not only jagged, it also make
> > scanlines much more visible. And IMHO, scanlines are nasty. Anyone that have
> > used an emulator would know them. Interlacing also make borders fuzzier.
>
> That's quite strange then - we have a 100Hz PAL TV (Loewe) and I can't see any
> artifacts or jagginess at all!  Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing?  I
> have a sneaking suspicion however that the TV might actually be progressive
> scan (or maybe it's just a side effect of the 100Hz) but with some things

If you have a 100Hz TV, then you're not seeing the actual content
being broadcast. It's just like what would happen on an LCD TV or
projector: The TV captures the interlaced fields, digitizes them,
scales them to whatever resolution it wants to refresh at, and
displays them as progressive frames.

> But of course watching the same content on my monitor you can clearly see that
> it is interlaced.  Which brings me to another point - if you run your monitor
> in an interlaced mode and watch interlaced content with it, will it then
> appear like it would on a TV?

Only if you get the refresh rate exactly right and don't do any
scaling. Otherwise it will look very bad; sometimes the picture will
"jump back in time". Or if the refresh rate is way too high, it'll
look just like interlaced video on a progressive screen.

Rich