[MPlayer-users] Spontaneous dumpstream

Stephen D. Leedle LeedleSt at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 22:35:03 CET 2003

Hello!

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 16:17, Hakon Gunsen wrote:
> Hi!
> I wonder if I can use the dumpstream feature to start recording
> spontaneously, when playback is already going? By pressing a certain
> key, and the target file would get a temporary random name which you
> could rename afterwards. Or have you planned such a function?
>
> Hakon

I think this would be some kind of useful feature. Concerning the watching
of TV shows and the wish to spontaneously capture. Without having TWO tv
capture cards as I have! (Have got actually 3 cards <- show-off)

I am thinking of how this could fit the mencoder/mplayer model... (I'm NOT
a developer, just having too less knowledge, much fantasy and ideas,
begging for pardon!)

... is it possible to put TV - e.g. per pipe function - into a stream like
file, and then read this file by two different threads/seperate started
applications (e.g. one copy of MPlayer for playback and one MEncoder for
spontaneously encoding)?

I am NOT a linux crack (like to be one, really :-) but as far as I
understand Linux philosophy of files etc. this could be a solution.

Again begging for pardon if I'm talking non sense!

Sincerely Yours, Stephen D. Leedle