[MPlayer-users] How to integrate XviD in Compilation process?

Stephen D. Leedle LeedleSt at gmx.de
Tue Dec 2 23:56:06 CET 2003

Hello!

--- If You're short on time or not interested in my boring blabla read the
last 3 lines after the "---here---" mark, thanks a lot in advance!---

RTFM, don't tell me. Couldn't find any. Darn manual doesn't help in this
situation. Well, it doesn't help me, maybe to stupid me-some!
But now to the subject....

....I would like to use XviD. XviD is lovely, at least for me; there might
be nice and handsome codecs from other cool guys, but I don't want them.
The codec. The guys I don't want at all. Sorry.

I have this software, downloaded, compiled, installed:
 - XviD core library source code 1.0.0-beta1 (www.xvid.org)
 - MPlayer v1.0pre2 source (guess where I got this one... :)
	Subversion information:
	 - MEncoder 1.0pre2-3.2.3 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
	 - MPlayer 1.0pre2-3.2.3 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
So, finest software, isn't it?

Compilation isn't a problem, neither for XviD or MPlayer; and xvid isn't
subject number one in this list. It seems to compile and install
properly. So, let us get further.

There seems to be 2 sorts of support for a codec library as XviD is:
 - native (don't bother if this isn't the right expression)
 - lavc support
The lavc part is documented in good old "# man mplayer/# man mencoder".
There You can find all the lavc supported XviD options.

And now my point:

BUT...! But how do I get MPlayer/MEncoder to use the newest
XviD-Codec-Libraries? lavc can't be the solution, it seems to support
only precompiled options, and pre-added versions (added by the
MPlayer-Team, God bless them!)

There are options in XviD 1.0.0beta I'd like to use with MEncoder. But
how?`On compilation, a ."# ./configure" tells me there is a _disabled_
xvid codec. Even on specifying a "# ./configure --with-xvidcore=/usr/
local/lib/libxvidcore.a" there is no change to this output.

---here---
How do I integrate the XviD support in MPlayer/MEncoder - not conceirning
the lavc support which I am _most likely_ not interested in (reasons
above :)!?

Help, I'm confused. (Happens quite often ;)

Ready for flames, ready for helpful answers,

with respectful greetings to You all,
	Stephen D. Leedle