[MPlayer-users] Mpeg1 vs Mpeg2 encoding

Nico nsabbi at tiscali.it
Mon Dec 1 13:04:48 CET 2003

Hi,
when using libavcodec is it better to encode to mpeg1 or mpeg2? (for dvds)
The resolution would be 720x576 with 4/3 A/R  and the bitrate around
1500 kb/s.
In my tests it seems that both are the best mpeg[12] encoders around as
far as details and sharpness are concerned
(other commercial encoders blur too much the colors) but occasionally
there's some blockiness.

I read in a forum that  at low bitrate mpeg1 encodes better than mpeg2,
but it sounds
like a hearsay;  I would  appreciate some enlightenment  by someone who
knows the matter.

P.S. is there some parameter to reduce lavc's sensitivity to motion?
I have the impression that sometimes it's too high, making the codec
follow the slightest pixel moving
that it had better discard.

Thanks,
       Nico