[MPlayer-users] getting small subs from dvd

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Aug 31 20:22:21 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 06:00:27PM +0200, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 05:50:13PM +0200, Benjamin Pineau wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> > by reading the man, I understood that mencoder can only produce this
> > heavy and binary format of subtitles from dvd.
> > Is there any planning on that ?
> > Is there a tool (maybe non mencoder/mplayer) that allows to produce .srt
> > or other text-based light subtitle format ?
>
> There is a tool called subrip at http://subtitleripper.sourceforge.net/
>
> It uses gocr for text recognition. I don't have good experiences with it
> though, most dvd subtitles seem to be too decorated with
> antialising/shadows or other strangeness for gocr to recognize the text
> correctly. YMMV

Hm? From my experience DVD subs have no decoration whatsoever and are
in fact very very ugly, but I agree that OCR isn't very accurate.
You're better off downloading subs someone else already converted, or
else just using the timings from the DVD and retyping your own subs
(this lets you fix the horrible grammar and spelling errors too, which
are all too common in subtitles...)

Rich