[MPlayer-users] Problem with playing mpeg2 files smoothly

Martin Grim mgrim at freeler.nl
Sun Aug 31 13:52:32 CEST 2003

Hi folks,

> Maybe the harddisk isn't switched to dma mode, check this with
> hdparm -d <device>
> if it isn't in dma mode, use hdparm -d1 <device> to activate it. You may
> also look at the other hdparm settings, especially -m and -X to improve
> hd performance.

This was indeed the problem! Without DMA I had a throughput of about 3 Mb/s
from disk. In the end my kernel, 2.4.18, didn't support setting of DMA with
hdparm, so I had to upgrade to 2.4.20-20. Now I run my movies without any
problems. Euh, almost without problems... the upgrade killed my sound :-(

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,

Martin