[MPlayer-users] Which codec is fast and good?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Aug 29 21:13:01 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:24:19AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2003 21:57 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
>
> > denoise3d leaves small artifacts due to low precision computation and
> > rounding errors.
> >
> > hqdn3d is very slow due to higher precision arithmetic.
>
> Yes of course, but I meant: Are those rounding errors supposed to be
> really visible? I didn't see any difference. On what do I have to pay
> attention?

Pay attention when there's an object moving in front of a solid color
background. I use the terms object and background very loosely here.
What you should see if your denoise strengths are too high (and maybe
also when using the low-precision denoise3d) is a sort of muddiness in
the solid background where the object has passed over it.

If anyone's interested I could post a short clip from the opening of
SE:Lain where you can see the problem very clearly.

Rich