[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 29 19:57:05 CEST 2003

Jouni.Lohikoski at iki.fi wrote:
> How about ogg as a multimedia container format?
> It is not well supported, I'd assume, but if MPlayer would support it,
> if it would be good, we would use it and p2p networks would start to
> have .ogg files/containers, it wouldn't take soon when all other multimedia
> programs would support it also.

Ogg does have potential as a general container, especially for
streaming. I've been using Ogmtools to make ogms (oggs with VFWish
MPEG-4 video and Vorbis audio) for quite a while and playing them with
MPlayer, Xine, and a couple of Win32 players. It seems to be a de facto
standard of sorts, since there are several interoperable implementations.

Xiph is working on Ogg Theora and they'll eventually be working on Ogg
Tarkin. Hopefully, they'll define a generic way of putting video in Ogg.

The main advantage Quicktime would have over Ogg and Matroska is that it
is more standardized and widely implemented in the proprietary world.

Jonathan Rogers