[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Ken kmartinek at ascentmedia.com
Fri Aug 29 19:41:30 CEST 2003

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>
>> The only thing that makes me hestitant to condone MPEG4 is their
>> licensing 'fees'. And yes its container is more complicated than AVI,
>> but thats because of its Object container support - this turns out to
>> be REALLY cool though since ancillary data and media can be carried
>> with the file (captions, images, files, chapter lists, etc.).
>

> The MPEG-4 licensing is a big problem for Free Software, at least for
> commercial use. I'm not even sure if I'm safe using it privately; I
> might be violating patents every time I use mencoder with libavcodec. Do
> you know if licenses are required for the container as well as the
> codecs?

Wow!!! Thats a really good question! My guess is NO, only because its
closely related to Quicktimes container, which is free. But guesses by
non-lawyers can be risky. :) If yes, then just using quicktimes
conatiner seems like a workaraound - but there goes interop!!

I honestly dont know how the per-content licensing scheme is supposed to
be dealt with by folks who opt too use DIVX - they dont mention much of
the 'duties' on their site, curiously. Is divx content exempt, or just
not Mpeg4??? :)

If so, that's a very good reason to avoid it. If not, it could