[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

zimon@iki.fi zimon at niksula.hut.fi
Fri Aug 29 17:09:16 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 06:14:53AM -0800, Sycotic Smith wrote:
> That's the one I was looking for, for some reason thought it was -outfmt so I couldn't find it in the manpage, but it is still 'experimental' IIRC.  Any devs - maybe it should be changed to something different, since -of might get confused later with -ofps by newbs?

I think it would be wise to change all long options to "long-named options"
and the same time support more verbose option names.
See getopt(3), getopt_long(), getopt.h

Then few very often used options could have their shortcuts with short
options. -h, -x, -y, -a, -V, -q

OLD    LONG          SHORT
-vo => --video-out,   -v  (-v may not be good idea because de facto -v = --verbose)
-vc => --video-codec, -V
-ao => --audio-out,   -a
-ac => --audio-codec, -A
-pp => --post-filter, -p
-ss => --seek,        -S
-fs => --fullscreen,  -F
-menu => --menu,      -m
-loop => --loop,     -l
-framedrop => --framedrop, -f
-nojoystick => --nojoystick

--alang, --slang, --nosound, --fs, --sub, --playlist,
--vid, --aid, --fps, --srate, --framedrop, --quiet and so on.

There is MANY times I've scratched my head why --really-quiet does not work.
Usually in all (modern) UNIX programs long options are long options and short
ones are single letters.