[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer audio from TV line???

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Aug 29 01:27:45 CEST 2003

Bill Eldridge wrote:
> Jonathan Rogers wrote:
>
> If I do "mplayer -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=PAL:channel=51:chanlist=europe-east tv://"
> I see TV off of my TV card, even get a channel changer. I just can't
> hear it.
> Seems like a lot of trouble went into coming up with a half a solution.
Nope, it works just fine for 99% of people.

> But then if I run audio out of my TV card, into my soundcard, now I have
> sound, but always on (mplayer isn't muting it, though ffmpeg does).
That's easy, put the mplayer command in a script.  Start the script with
a command that unmutes line-in, then after mplayer, a command that mutes
it once again.

> It's hard to see at that point what the adevice=/dev/dsp option I'm using
> does, since it sounds the same as when I use adevice=/dev/dsp1,
> for the TV card where no output works. So what exactly does "adevice" do?
MPlayer doesn't normally directly handle sound.  'adevice=' should work
with 'mencoder'.

> The man page on mplayer says immediatemode is default 1, video capture only
> with loopback cable for sound, but then when I try to set immediatemode
> to 0,
> the option doesn't exist for mplayer.

What do you mean the option doesn't exist?  Sounds like you are
specifying it wrong, somehow.