[MPlayer-users] Re: Compile problems with GCC 3.3.1

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Aug 26 09:55:42 CEST 2003

Andre Hinrichs wrote:
> I ever installed MPlayer without any problems. Even version 0.91 worked fine
> until I upgraded to GCC 3.3.1. Then I got a very long list of linker error
> messages. First I thought that there was an error in the distribution (SuSE
> Linux 8.2) but after compiling other packages without any problems I now
> rather think it is a problem with the MPlayer sources. I also tried the
> latest CVS tree with the same result. I did not look at the sources but the
> compile log seems to be fine without any errors until linking of the binaries
> starts.
>
> Is there anybody who has already installed the new compiler and tried to
> compile MPlayer then?

I've been using GCC 3.x for everything on my system for at least a year
now and every package has been compiled with a 3.x version. Currently,
I'm using 3.2.3.

What was your previous version? Was it 3.x or 2.95.x? If it was 2.95.x,
you may need to recompile some of the libraries you wish to link to. You
probably only need to recompile the C++ stuff, since the ABI
(Application Binary Interface) changed from 2.95 to 3.x. If you're just
upgrading from 3.x to 3.3, disregard everything I've said.

Jonathan Rogers