[MPlayer-users] Re: dvd through samba

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Aug 26 06:47:49 CEST 2003

Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> Of course, NFS link between two Linux boxen works *much* better.

What, you mean Win98 *isn't* a good file server? Incredibly, a company I
used to work for had a Win98 box as the file server for M$ mail.
Amazingly, it didn't break all the time, though it was very slow. It was
probably only tens of users; hundreds would have killed the poor box.

The administrator had specifically chosen Win98 for that machine over
NT4, since he only had an NT4 Workstation license. Workstation has the
file server, but it has a stupid arbitrary limit of ten simultaneously
connected clients. Win98's file server has no such limitation, though it
is probably less capable of handling more than ten clients. I suggested
  the combination of GNU/Linux or *BSD and Samba to run on the same box,
but IT had evidently already sold their souls. They eventually replaced
the mail server with an Exchange server, which worked better, but
probably required significant hardware upgrades.

Getting back to the topic, using SMB/CIFS with Samba or even NT/2000 as
the server would probably work well too.

Jonathan Rogers