[MPlayer-users] (cpudetection in rpm packages) Newbie question disabling run time

zimon@iki.fi zimon at niksula.hut.fi
Tue Aug 26 00:35:03 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:48:44PM +1000, Raena Lea-Shannon wrote:
> Compiled with Runtime CPU Detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
> To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection
> 2.	How is this done? (I am only used to recompliling when I have installed
> from tarball.) I have looked in man rpm and carried out some queries.
>
> Is there a -disable-runtime-cpudetection option for
> rpm {--recompile} [--rcfile <file>] [-v] source1.rpm ... sourceN.rpm
> or rpm --rebuild?

Probably not. In rpm-spec files sometimes they use --with and --without
options, which futher propagate to configure --enable and --disable.

For myself I edited this one Freshmean rpm SPEC-file, which is in:
< http://www.iki.fi/zimon/public/rpm_specs/MPlayer-my.spec >

Download that, put it in /usr/src/rpm/SPECS (or where you keep the SPEC files)

Edit the "%define date 200030824" line to have the date when you will
download MPlayer-current.tar.bz2 from MPlayerHQ.

Download < http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/cvs/ffmpeg-cvs-2003-08-23.tar.gz >
and < http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/cvs/MPlayer-current.tar.bz2 >
and put them to /usr/src/rpm/SOURCES (or where you have the SOURCES dir)

Then you can build binary package using several --with and --without options.
For example: (one longish line)
 rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 --rmsource --clean --with debug \
   --with largefiles --with devfs --without mencoder \
   /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/MPlayer-my.spec

The other --with and --without options you can see in the spec file:
"
Available rpmbuild rebuild options :
--with : gui largefiles devfs joystick live menu fribidi opendivx tremor xmms
        3dfx tdfxfb bl tdfxvid runtimecpudetection debug profile dynamicplugins
        fame
--without : mencoder edl network unrarlib sortsub ftp select fastmemcpy
        sighandler gccchecking vidix
"

The spec file is far from perfect, but it works for me in RH9 better than the
ones I have found from the Net. It won't compile with runtime-cpudetection
or with GUI-support, unless you include them by using --with in rpmbuild.

[--with fame, (--enable-libfame), --with gui, (--enable-gui) options fail
in compile stage, but haven't had time to figure out why yet.]

//	z