[MPlayer-users] Bitrates and File Size

Ethan John thaen at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 25 20:51:52 CEST 2003

Hi all,

(New to the list) I've been ripping movies from DVD with MEncoder for
about a year now, but typically just for backup purposes, maybe
time-shifting rentals, or things like that. Since I rarely watch them,
or keep them, quality so far hasn't been an issue. But it occurred to
me recently that if I was going to have *good* backups, I should
probably learn a little more about this whole MEncoder thing.

So after reading encoding_tips.txt, the MPlayer/MEncoder man page, and
a number of posts to this list in the archive, I've still got this one
lingering question:

Why don't the bitrate numbers match the file size numbers?

That might not make sense. Example:
I have a copy of US Marshals. It's 131 minutes, and when I play it with
MEncoder, it tells me 618.6 kb/s video, and 96 kb/s audio, for a total
of 714.6 kb/s. However, when you total these numbers up, you come out
with an expected file size of 685 MB, but the file is only 600 MB. How
is this possible? aren't mpeg4 movies constant bit rate unless you
specify otherwise?

For a while I thought this had something to do with cutting out
duplicate frames -- shaving a movie back down to 24 fps instead of 29
or 30 on the DVD, but even adding in that ratio (1.25 or .8), the file
sizes don't come out correctly.

In my head, the ideal bitrate for a movie would be calculated like this:
(30 / 24) * ((bits for total desired file size) - (bits reserved for
audio)) / (number of seconds in movie)

But in practice, this number is too small -- it yields files in the
600-650 MB range.

Right now, I calculate bitrate based on trial and error from the past
-- typically something like:
(bits for 725 MB file) / (seconds in movie)

i.e., I calculate the video bitrate based upon wanting a 725 MB movie
of _just_ video. This typically yields file sizes between 660 and 700
MB.

What's going on here? My many thanks in advance.

(I have a million more questions, but I'll try to keep it to one a day
for a while. =- )

ethan john
http://students.washington.edu/thaen/
Apple Campus Representative
University of Washington
206.841.4157

"Every year a few brave programmers take a shower for the first time,
and are found dead in the shower a few days later. The bottle of
shampoo reads, 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat.' "
"The bug was fixed in version 1.1. It now reads, 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat
as desired.' "