[MPlayer-users] chopping off credits

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Aug 25 06:45:11 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:13:14PM +0100, antonovich wrote:
> hey all,
> I am trying to work out the best/easiest way to chop the credits off my
> mencodes (meaning I want to get my movie = 700MB without credits). I am
> pretty partial to encoding from HD so much prefer encoding from cat-ed input.
> However, it appears that the -ss option (flag?) doesnt' work with cat'ed
> input. What would be the best way? Is it possible to chop a vob, given that
> that would make things much simpler?
> antonovich

DO NOT CAT FROM VOBS TO ENCODE FROM HD! Either dump the dvd with
mplayer -dumpstream (so you get the whole dvd as one .vob file) or use
mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/your/vobs. But keep in mind, -ss
will not be accurate on mpeg files anyway, so you'll have to
experiment until you find the right time to seek to...

BTW, chopping off credits is a bit lame... You can get excellent
quality on a single CD without chopping the credits if you RTFM
encoding-tips.txt rather than just blindly running mencoder with no
options.

Rich