[MPlayer-users] Problem with playing mpeg2 files smoothly

Thomas Zangl - Mobil mobil at tzi.dhs.org
Sun Aug 24 23:08:06 CEST 2003

Hi,

I had the same problem (short slowdowns during playback) some time ago.
My box is an Athlon XP 1600+ so I didn´t think it was the CPU.

The reason was, that I had "rdate" in my crontab. Rdate sets the HWC after
it queries an NTP host for the time. So, everytime my HWC gets set mplayer
slowed down.
So, maybe try to disable cron, and as much system services as possible.
Try to run mplayer w/o X only with fb or vesa. Try to get your box as plain
as possible.

HTH,