[MPlayer-users] reducing size of files while conserving the audio/video quality

Maximo Ramos maximo at violadores.org
Sun Aug 24 14:58:00 CEST 2003

Citando a  Joonas Koivunen (rzei at mbnet.fi):
> > Hi there!!
> Hi.
> I'm not saying this is a good idea. Just make sure you don't spread these
> fucked up files in any p2p network... There's already so much low quality
> stuff around. Though, I'm not suggesting that you might fuck it up totally,
> just that all the releases already are so badly encoded, re-encoding them
> will result in even more horrible material -- no matter with what encoder you
> use. Why don't you go and buy more HD space? :) or just delete what you've
> watched.. I know from experience that at least I have almost ever watched
> same stuff again.

I am not going to share them in any p2p network, you don't have to worry
about it. I just would like to archive them for my personal amuse.

> Well.. Dunno where did you read that 800kb/s (kilo * bit / s) is the minimum.
> The holy manual only says that it is the DEFAULT (it will be used when you
> don't specify any other).

Yes, my bad, that's the default.

> Share your time with DOCS/*. There are some encoding tips etc. stuff you need
> to know before you start playing.

You missed the part of my email when I stated:

"However, I am very new at this, and after reading encoding.html and
 encoding-tips.txt I still can't decide what options to use, like vbitrate for
 example."

The thing here is that I am not familiar with those terms and acronyms, that's
why I am writing to the list.

> After reading few mails on the list recently I'd recommend mdb=2 (though I
> haven't had any time to encode stuff yet.. Maybe later today.). Other things
> like masks you'll find in the encoding tips. Keep an eye out for tips for
> encoding drawn stuff (like your southpark over here), tips for other footage
> are discussed also.

mdb replaces vhq, right? but I was using mbd=1 because the manual says that it
relates to vhq:

0    use mbcmp (default)
1    select the MB mode which needs the fewest bits (=vhq)
2    select the MB mode which has the best rate distortion

Trust me, I already read encoding-tips.txt, but I couldn't make any sense of it. :(

> Use of postprocessing filters (deblockers (e.g. pp=de)) and some other fancy
> stuff might result in better compression.

I will check that, thanks!!

> > Thanks!
> Hmm.. I'm not actually clear of how the documents are atm spread out in the
> tar but if you cannot find encoding-tips in your languages folder, it means
> that it hasn't yet been translated.. So it'll be in english documents I
> guess. man find.

"However, I am very new at this, and after reading encoding.html and
 encoding-tips.txt I still can't decide what options to use, like vbitrate for
 example."

and it's in main/DOCS/tech/ directory.

--
Maximo Ramos           Lost in The Land of The Morning Calm

    "I am free of prejudices. I hate everyone equally."