[MPlayer-users] Not playing certain AVI (that Win does) with "Missing video stream!?"

Marco Bertola bertola at mathstat.concordia.ca
Sun Aug 24 09:56:19 CEST 2003

Hello,

I think this is either a bug or a missing feature (or I did not RTFM..?)

The avi is produced by VideoWave 4 (a capture from a VHS using a "Dazzle
Mojave" device that I never managed to have working under Linux).
It is probably very "raw". Windows Media Player has no problem
in playing it.

The problem seems identical to the one I read and experienced about Kino
when using capturing in "DV AVI Type 1".
HOWEVER
Kino can read its own DV1 files but can't read these.
[Can provide sample file but I thought it is an attachment of
inappropriate size...]

Moreover: for the Kino problem the solution is(or so I think)
1) export the audio
2) use dv2dv to convert DV1 to DV2 (but loses the audio, whence point 1)
3) repack everything with you favorite duct tape.

This won't work for the VideoWave problem (so don't suggest it please...)
because dv2dv fails to read the file....

This is the result [there are a bunch of complaints about compilation
options and config files and permissions but they seem
unrelated since it plays other files with the same complaints]

mplayer NONAME_00001.avi
MPlayer 0.91-3.3.1  (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices  (Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with Runtime CPU Detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection
Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /home/bertola/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/bertola/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
'/home/bertola/.mplayer/c
odecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 136 video codecs
font: can't open  /home/bertola/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open  /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (mplayer should be setuid root
or /de
v/rtc should be readable by the user.)
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /home/bertola/.mplayer/input.conf: No such
file or
directory
Input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf parsed: 52 binds
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing NONAME_00001.avi
^MCache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    AVI file format detected.
AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
Falling back on trying to parse playlist NONAME_00001.avi...
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
===