[MPlayer-users] NOVIRUS

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Sun Aug 24 01:36:16 CEST 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:09:29AM -0500, Jamie McLaughlin wrote:
> >
> > I have a strange error that occurs ONLY with Quicktime movies (.mov).  I
> > can play them just fine, but they always crash with exit code 11.  (have
> > not yet compiled with --enable-debug)  I can play them, and if they crash,
> > I just start it up again.  BUT!...  If they DON'T crash after playing
> > (remember, quicktimes only), then I can play any other movie file...  But
> > if I dare touch another .mov file, BOOM.  exit code 11, please something
> > something, see DOCS/bugreport or something...
>
> The quicktime binary codec loader has been known to have some strange
> problems in the past, so it's probably a bug there... I would guess
> it's corrupting its memory after the first movie is played, so when it
> gets called again for another movie, BOOM!! :)

I have noticed that mplayer gets a lot of signal 11 faults whenever
it fails to allocate shared memory, so every now and then, I do this,

   ipcs -am | awk '$9 == "0" { print "ipcrm -m " $2 }' | sh

removing every segment with zero attachments, and then mplayer is
happy again. That's on NetBSD -- the command required for your
platform may be slightly different. Rebooting would work, too. I
mainly run mplayer under gnome, which is known to get silly with the
shared memory, so I'm not sure whether gnome or mplayer is responsible
for the "zombie" segments that are clogging up the works.

Frederick