[MPlayer-users] First steps with TV-Card (Was: Which TV card ?)

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Aug 22 11:57:12 CEST 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Rainer Hantsch wrote:

>a.) How do I set the recording volume by the script?

For alsa, use ... uhh.. forgot it. "asset" or "sset" or something.
For OSS, use "setmixer", also "aumix" can be used from command line.
However, OSS-compatible mixers can not completely control ALSA, so if you
use the latter, it's better to use ALSA-specific mixer.

>b.) Is it possible to also set explicitely Line-In as recording input
>    from a shell script, too? I guess yes, but how? (I am absolutely new

Yes, at least aumix and that "sset" (or something) allows doing that, not
sure about setmixer.

>c.) Is it possible to record a TV show without hearing the audio?

It depends on your sound card: can it record sound without outputting it to
the speakers? Or maybe you can just unplug the speakers. I think it should
be possible with most soundcards.

Or if it is BT878-based card, you might succeed using btaudio module (ie.
capture sound directly from TV-card and not via soundcard, but at least
with my TV card it doesn't work).

>d.) Color saturation
>    After my first tests I could find out that the recorded video has a very
>    low color saturation. How can I set it to a higher level, i.e. 20% more?

man v4lctl. Or use xawtv interactively.