[MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Fri Aug 22 09:06:11 CEST 2003

Rainer Hantsch <rainer at hantsch.co.at> writes:

> Could somebody give me a step-by-step instruction how to record a bit of TV?
> (Or point me to a description which can easily be understood?)

www.google.com

or just STFA. It is discussed every few weeks on this list and nobody
wants to repeat the same threads every month.

And to give you a useful hint:
I capture at 512x576 with mencoder, but _before_ compression i
deinterlace and scale to 512x384, then compres with vqscale=2 to
mpeg4. This works on a P3-750 and on an Duron 600. Audio is pcm and
recompressed later.

In fact, i usually capture at 528x576 and crop to 512x560 before scaling.

The reason for this is, that capture cards can do horizontal "scaling"
very good (just take less samples per line) but vertical scaling very
bad (i think, they just leave out lines, but i'm not sure).
So i capture with horizontal resolution the same as the target, then
mencoder has less work with deinterlacing and scaling.
The reason for vqscale=2 is in the list archives.
And for your insane quality requirements ("Full PAL for displaying
on a big TV"): i have yet to see a (CRT) television set, where you can
visually distinguish a resolution of 512x384 from the bigger ones. I
have not found such a tv yet.

But with a bit of googling and reading the archives you would have
found out yourself and would have found the other tools that allow
faster recording and other formats than AVI, i just say nuppelvideo.
 Stefan Seyfried, seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de