[MPlayer-users] -af surround-questions...

Lars Grunewaldt lars.grunewaldt at osnanet.de
Fri Aug 22 04:58:42 CEST 2003

hi there,

I'm just playing around with my onboard-card that supports multi-channel
output (up to 6 channels).

It works fine, even if I don't have a 5.1 amplifier (I simply hooked up
3 stereo-amplifiers to the soundcard... one could say this is overdoing
things, but I like it - at least until I have money for a true serial
5.1 amp).

First I tried some DVD's and AC3-5.1-Streams, working out of the box
with -channels 4 or -channels 6.

Then I tried to use -af surround to find out what could be squelched out
of 2channel-files like vcd's and stuff. Now I wondered...

1. whould the surround filter generate a center/LFE signal? Or, at
least, a center signal (LFE is possible with -af sub=100:5, and it
works, too)? Would be nice to have a center, but I'm not sure if the
matrix encoding has a center signal? If not, a center should be "easily"
to extract from the stereo signal? -channels 6 instead of -channels 4
only produced silence center/LFE channels.
mplayer command line:
mplayer -ao alsa9:hw:0.1 -af surround,format=unsignedint -channels 4 vcd://

2. I had no chance to try it yet, but I'd like to use mplayer as a
realtime software surround decoder, hooking up a signal from my TV
through some sound-in (maybe of my bttv/hauppauge digital in, or through
the mic input (what would be usable if I only use 4 channels for
output). Is this possible?

3. What happens if there is no "real" matrix-encoded surround signal in
the file? I tried some old mp3's which surely do not contain any
surround signals, but still there was a signal on the rears. Of course I
did not expect them to be silent tue to the way how the matrix encoding
works, but there was a lot of stuff to hear. I tried a really long delay
time (990ms) and it was clearly the rear-signal coming out of the rears
(now much delayed). Could anyone explain how the matrix
encoding/decoding works (I'm not that clear about it) and why this happens?

I hope anyone has some suggestions here, I find it quite interesting as
it makes it possible to watch dvds and stuff with a more decent sound. A
friend of mine has a dolby THX certified 5.1 sound setup he purchased
about 1998, and Star Wars really kicks *ss on that thingy...

may the force be with you
  Lars

PS: well yes maybe playing 8 hours jedi knight 2 was too much, but...