[MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Thu Aug 21 08:53:21 CEST 2003

On Thursday 21 August 2003 08:36, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> a.) my 800MHz PIII will not be strong enough for on-the-fly compression in
>     this dimension (I get ~8fps from VOB -> DivX with transcode, doing
>     re-scaling, clipping, sound conversion, etc. in parallel). But because
>     I do not have to re-scale, clip, ... the video, only compress, it can
>     possibly be much better here.
8fps? That's quite bad. But first, try mencoder with lavc, it's the fastest
around. Also, you could try capturing at 768x576 to obtain the best images
out of tv card, and then rescale to some other value.

> b.) DivX will not allow me to cut out commercials because it is not really
>     supported by most video editors on Linux, knows the hell, why... :-/
That's plain not true. Avidemux can do that happily, with frame precision.

> So I will have to look for something different, which does only very slight
> compression to keep most of the quality, but still strong enough to get 2-3
> hours onto 15GB HDD space - in a file format which can be edited
> afterwards.
>
> What will give "best" results? I would prefer to keep full PAL resolution
> as long as possible.
Keeping full PAL is a strong task. My P4 2.4Ghz struggles with it, so I don't
think it's possible for you. But you have to always keep in mind what your
target is: I was like you before, when I realized I was going to burn VCDs
only at 352x288, I started to capture at that res. Work like charm.
Also, on a final note, pay attention at the AVI dimensions: if you pass the
2Gb file size, some programs could have problems, and if you pass 4Gb, you
will definitely have problems with avidemux.