[MPlayer-users] mencoder "-ss" option doesn't match video timing

Matthew Yates myatesmyates at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 16:22:02 CEST 2003

I was trying to encode sections of a *.vob file to avi
using mencoder.  The source of the vob file is a NTSC
region 1 dvd.  It was transferred to the hard drive
using vobcopy.  The main movie was then stored as a
single vob file using the "cat" command.

Here an example of the command I used to make an avi
file:

mencoder movie.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:vhq:vpass=1 -vop
scale=640:480,lavcdeint -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=128 -o movie-part2.avi -ss 00:51:40 -endpos
00:45:00

(I did the same command with vpass=2 for the final avi
file)

It works great except the timing I enter after -ss
doesn't agree with the actual timing.  The discrepancy
increases the further into the movie you go.  The
-endpos timing seems to work (it encodes 45 min).  I
worked around it by trial and error guessing -ss
timing and encoding a few seconds to see where I
actualy was.  Any ideas on how to correct this?