[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with mencoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 20 07:16:12 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:48:51PM -0700, rcooley wrote:

> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >What do you do with audio during the video encoding passes? You can't
> >just use -nosound of A/V sync will be totally broken.
> I pass '-oac copy' to mencoder, then ogmmerge has a '-A' option that
> discards the audio from the avi file.
>
> >Umm, my drive can't burn more than about 708-710 megs, and I've seen
> >my cdrom drive get in a NASTY state when trying to read overburned
> >discs larger than this. So I would not recommend it, unless you like
> >rebooting or hot-resetting cdrom drives...
> >
> >Rich
> Hmm...  That's interesting to hear, but I've never seen anything like
> it, and I have experience with literally hundreds upon hundres of
> CD-ROMs, spaning over 2-dozen brands, and I have yet to run into one
> that didn't work with any CDs I've overburned (although I typically stay
> below 715MB).
>
> I don't know what to tell you, I've got to go with my own experience.
> Of course, if one in a million CD-ROMs can't read it, it's really not
> the end of the world for me.

Well one more comment: it's possible that the nasty behavior on my
cdrom drive is caused by the burner trying to overburn, failing, but
not reporting an error -- that could lead to a broken disc. So maybe
it's not a problem if your burner does overburns correctly. However,
from what I understand, most old cdr[w] drives will not overburn more
than a few megs, similar to mine...

Rich