[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with mencoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Aug 19 21:08:00 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:23:57AM -0700, rcooley wrote:

> Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > > Of course, you could do the same, entirely without frameno.avi.
> >
> >How?  When using VBR encoding, the final average bitrate
> >cannot be determined without actually encoding the whole
> >thing.
> >
> >Regards
> >   Oliver
> >

> It's quite simple really...  I do the same thing when I want to use
> Vorbis audio (and mux MPEG4 video into an Ogm container).
>
> The way I do it, is to use mplayer to dump the audio to PCM, pipe the
> PCM output through a fifo, encode it to Vorbis (or lame in your case),
> then use "du -k" to find the exact (down to the kilobyte) size of the
> file.  You just stick that value in the "AUDIOSIZE=" variable of the
> bitr.sh script I sent (instead of the script calculating the audiosize
> from the movie length multiplied by the audio bitrate).  Then, it should
> give you quite an accurate video bitrate to use (if you want it REALLY
> accurate, change the script to ask for movie length in _seconds_ instead
> of minutes).

What do you do with audio during the video encoding passes? You can't
just use -nosound of A/V sync will be totally broken.

> Rich already covered the 703MB CD-size issue, so I'll just say that I'm
> not sure what you mean by "guaranteed".  CDs may not officially be able
> to hold 720MB, but every last one of them can do so, and with the
> exception of very very old CD-Roms, allmost all drives can read
> overburned discs (and if they can't read to 720MB, they probably aren't
> even able to read 700MB CDs anyhow--you won't see those old CD drives on
> any systems fast enough to play Divx files anyhow).

Umm, my drive can't burn more than about 708-710 megs, and I've seen
my cdrom drive get in a NASTY state when trying to read overburned
discs larger than this. So I would not recommend it, unless you like
rebooting or hot-resetting cdrom drives...

Rich