[MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Aug 19 20:43:12 CEST 2003

Alban Bedel wrote:
> The nuppel video codec is avaible for encoding: -ovc nuv
Very cool, I will be sure to try that right away.

> It use the same codec as nuppelrec and is thus quiet fast. However
> i never tried nuppelrec so i can't tell if there is a speed difference.
I have to think that there will be...  If nothing else, than because
NVRec is designed for recording from a TV-card, and does a good job of
things like buffering data (for 1sec by default) before writing to disk.
  With nuppelrec, I can record 640x480 video and (I assume it uses) PCM
audio.

Meanwhile...
With mencoder, using MJPEG for video is just about as
processor-intensive as mpeg4 (maxes out my XP 2000+)...  I assume that
is due to lack of (or poor) buffering (although any other explanations
are welcome!).  If I use any lavc video codec (mpeg1, mjpeg, mpeg4,
rv10, h263), and PCM audio with mencoder (even mono--even at a sampling
rate of 24000) after a minute I get constant messages about dropped
audio frames...  That's on a 7200RPM HD, btw.