[MPlayer-users] H.264

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Aug 18 11:27:35 CEST 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

>I've noticed mplayer/ffmpeg have added H.264 support quite a while ago;
>I've tried it on a couple of freely available sample files (I've uploaded
>one of the examples to /MPlayer/incoming - ShuttleStart_8.26l), none of
>which wanted to work though -- I guess mplayer needs H.264 in some
>container format?

Same here--I used the reference encoder jm61 (IIRC) to encode some
clips but mplayer was unable to decode them even with the correct -demuxer
switch. If someone finds a way to decode the files with MPlayer, or a good
encoding program, please let us on the list to know. H.264 should be much
better than MPEG-4 (part 2, H.264 is actually MPEG-4 part 10).

Also of interest maybe to some: I tried a fractal-based encoder "fiasco"
(linux journal had even an article about it sometimes when it came out
around '98) but unfortunately it was slightly worse than mencoder's MPEG-4
(about 1-0.5 dB PSNR) and *much* slower... otherwise I'd port it to work
with mencoder ;)